Many people argue that you should waste your money on art degree because you don’t need to go to college to develop your craft. That is a very good point because it’s very expensive. But there are other things to consider.
1) Art school is a safe place to fail and experiment with craft. It is a 4-year window to listen to your artist soul to find the best avenue of expression. You are free to fail without risking your career because you have not birthed it yet. It is the time where any thing is possible even if you suck at first (most people suck at first don’t worry about it).
2) Art degree will give you the chance to birth that fickle baby who is confidence in your artistic identity and your abilities.
You will have 4 years to develop in your mind, body, and spirit. You will listen to your artist soul, you will ask yourself the important questions, and you have let it make you cry for hours until you laugh from your gut. You know yourself better now. You have nurtured your craft so well that it can return the favor and take care of you.
3) It will give you time to figure out how to turn your artist soul into a brand and how to market it. Yeah, I know money isn’t the point. But, the goal is to find a way to make enough to support yourself within your craft so you don’t waste your energy on other jobs.
4) Networking with other artists and learning from other artists. You will be surrounded by other artists that can show you new things and will collaborate with you. Your professors will be artists that know other local artists and venues that will help you grow as an artist.
5) Being an artist can be desperate and some days your craft will be all you have. You have to do it because you believe that what you are expressing is more important than yourself. If you make it about you instead of the story or feeling, you will damage your soul and lose your connection to your work. Art school can show you if you have it in you or not.